Grilled Eggplant and Pepper Salad
Medium — ready in 1 hour — Side salad
It’s grilling season, freeendz!! If you want to impress the people you have gathered for a little social grill-get-together, then go and make this AMAZING, juicy and flavourful grilled salad. Serve with other grilled veggies, such as corn, or grilled fish or meat and earn the R.E.S.P.E.C.T. of your friends ;)
What you’ll need (for about 4 people)
- 1 eggplant
- 4 snack peppers (the long, red ones)
- Spring onions
- Parsley or other herbs, such as mint or oregano
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper and spices, e.g. cumin & paprika powder or ras el hanout
- Onion Vinaigrette (see instructions here)
- Plastic bag
Here’s how to make the salad:
- Prep your ingredients: wash and finely chop chili, garlic, kapers and parsley, cut spring onions into fine rings and grind parmesan into small chunks. Place everything in a large bowl.
- Slice the eggplant in similar thick, round pieces and season on both sides with salt, pepper, cumin and paprika powder. Lay out on a grill sheet.
- Make the onion vinaigrette according to the instructions.
- Light up the grill and when hot, place eggplants and peppers on it. Let peppers roast until the outer skin is blackened and peppers are soft. Eggplants should also get a healthy brown colour and become slightly crispy.
- When cooked, put the peppers from the grill into a plastic bag and add a bit of olive oil. Start softly massaging the bag with your hand (watch out not to burn yourself on the hot peppers, maybe you’ll have to wait a bit) but be careful not to squeeze the peppers too much. This procedure will help remove the burned skin from the tender flesh. Then open the bag and start peeling off the rest of the pepper skin — you can use a fork or knife for assistance. Also remove as many cores as you can, as they are tough to digest.
- When skinned, roughly chop the peppers filets and add to the bowl of chopped ingredients.
- Add grilled eggplants to the bowl as well and add a good amount of olive oil, salt and onion vinaigrette. Start mixing everything together and taste to add seasoning, if necessary.
Want to make delicious recipes like this at home?
All of our recipes are created with inspiration from our Eat Grim-boxes. If you are interested in starting your own subscription, and getting fruit & veg delivered straight to your door, then see our different boxes below.