Skip to content
- 5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 4 cups)
- 5 large parsnips, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 4 cups)
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2½ cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs or 1/2 cup shredded or crumbled cheese
Remember to tag your own creations with #eatgrim and #cookinggrim on Instagram and follow us @eatgrim.
- Position racks in the upper and lower third of oven; preheat to 220 Celcius.
- Toss carrots and parsnips in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil until well coated. Divide between 2 baking sheets and spread in an even layer. Roast the vegetables, stirring once and rotating the pans top to bottom about halfway through, until tender and beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft and golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add milk and continue to stir, scraping up any browned bits. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- When the vegetables are done, remove them from the oven. Preheat the broiler.
- Transfer half the carrots and parsnips to a 2-quart, broiler-safe baking dish. Spread half the sauce over the vegetables. Add the remaining vegetables and top with the remaining sauce.
- Combine breadcrumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl (skip this step if you are topping with cheese).
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture (or cheese) over the gratin. Place under the broiler and broil, watching closely, until the gratin is bubbling and beginning to brown on top, 1 to 5 minutes, depending on your broiler. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
BY CAROLIN SCHIEMER
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.